If you make a job application, the data controller for your personal information will be Toolstation Limited.
What information do we collect about you?
We will collect information about you when you apply for a position, register for Job Alerts or request further information from us.
There are various ways to apply for a position with Toolstation:
- Apply by uploading a file
- Fill in an online form
- Via an agency or employment business
The type of information we may collect includes:
- Name, address, phone number, email address
- Job preferences and areas of interest
- Right to work in the UK (British national or other right to work)
- Pay type (hourly/daily/annually), pay rate or salary
- Details of any pending prosecutions and unspent criminal convictions
- Work history: employer, position, start and end dates, duties
- Education and qualifications: school or university, qualification level, start and end dates
- Driving Licence status
- National Insurance Number
We may ask for some sensitive personal information, such as if you have a disability so we can make necessary adjustments for your interview or job. This information is usually voluntary and you will be given the opportunity to decide if you want to provide it or not. To the extent you choose to make sensitive personal information available to us, you agree to us processing that information in accordance with this policy.
We may supplement the information that you provide to us with information that we receive later on from third parties, for example references, recruiters and organisations that provide background checks (this may include right to work, criminal records checks, reference checks, background checks and verification of qualifications, to the extent permitted by law). This information may form part of your employment records if you are offered a position with us.
We may also collect information from publicly available information sources such as social media websites and corporate directories so that we can contact you about potential opportunities which may be relevant to you.
If you attend an interview (online, on the phone or in person), we may keep notes about the conversation you had with our recruitment team and managers.
We automatically collect certain data from you when you use our careers site, including IP address or other unique device identifiers, information collected by cookies on your usage of Toolstation careers site your mobile carrier (if applicable), time zone setting, operating system and platform and information regarding your use the Toolstation careers site.
How do we use the information we collect about you?
We will process your personal information for legitimate recruitment, human resources and business management purposes. These include:
- Processing your job application when you apply for a specific position within Toolstation, including evaluating your application and verifying your qualifications and experience
- Carrying out background checks including, to the extent permitted by law, checking references, qualifications, right to work and criminal records
- To support the Armed Forces community by recruiting veterans, young and old
- Conducting equal opportunities and diversity monitoring
- Contacting you about employment opportunities where your employment history, education and qualifications and salary expectations match our requirements
- Contacting you about employment opportunities that match your stated preferences via our register for Job Alerts
- To keep you informed about what's going on in our businesses
- To contact you for your views on our services
- Record-keeping related to the recruitment/hiring process
- Analysing the recruitment/hiring process and outcomes
- Notifying you about updates or changes to the site or services whenever necessary
- For market research and analytics purposes, to track activity on our site, to publish trends and/or to improve usefulness and content to provide a more personalised online experience (this will be on an anonymous basis as far as possible)
Your personal information will be processed for the limited purposes described, and in accordance with relevant privacy and other applicable laws. We endeavour to restrict the collection of personal information to that which is relevant and necessary for our recruitment and related purposes.
When we collect personal information from you we will normally indicate whether it is mandatory or voluntary – this is done on our websites by using asterisks to mark mandatory fields.
Legal basis for processing
Some of the information we collect is provided by you voluntarily when you choose to register with Toolstation's careers site or apply for a job with us. If you have provided information voluntarily, you are free to withdraw your consent at any time (see Your Rights section below).
Once we begin the recruitment process, some of the personal information we collect is necessary for us to fulfil our legal obligations as an employer (or prospective employer). This includes verifying your identity and eligibility to work in the UK. We also ask for information about disabilities so we can make appropriate arrangements for interviews.
The remainder of the information is necessary for our legitimate business interests as an employer and to help prevent fraud. This includes confirming your qualifications, obtaining references and conducting criminal records and other background checks. We also collect information to enable us to run a diverse and effective recruitment process, and to carry out analysis, monitoring and reporting.
Keeping you informed and your right to opt out
If you do not fully complete your online application we may contact you by email to remind you to provide the remaining information. Please note that we cannot consider incomplete applications.
If you have applied for a position with us or registered for one of our services previously we may use the information we collect to let you know about our other services which may be of interest to you and to keep you updated with information about relevant employment opportunities, career events, career advice, industry information and what's going on in our businesses. Please see “Your Rights” below for details of how to stop receiving communications from us.
Retention of information
We will continue to hold your details for as long as you indicate that you are happy for us to do so. If you do not want to be considered for other positions or would like to have your personal information removed, please contact email@example.com
Unless required for legal purposes or in connection with employment, we will retain your personal data for a maximum of 6 months from the date of submission or the latest update of your details or account information.
If your application is successful, your personal Information will be transferred to your personnel file and retained accordingly. Your information may be retained for a longer period if there are valid legal grounds for us to do so, for example if required by law or court order, or as needed to defend or pursue legal claims.
How we share your information
We will not use your personal information to send you direct marketing, nor will we provide your personal information to third parties to use for their direct marketing purposes. These restrictions do not apply to contact or other personal data obtained in the context of a customer/supplier relationship or other non-employment relationship with us.
However, we may use external third party providers to perform certain services for us. These services / service providers may include but are not limited to:
- Kaonix, the company which currently provides the platform for our recruitment system; at the date of this policy, they store your information in the European Economic Area
- Service providers who help us with administrative services, IT technologies (e.g. data storage), security services and insurance claims; (Travis Perkins Plc)
- Background check providers who help us with reference checking, pre-employment checks, vetting services and verifying the information that you have provided if your application is successful; (CareerCheck)
- Service providers that assist us with listing our jobs, to reach people who may be interested in Toolstation opportunities;
- Service providers that assist us understanding how our websites works by setting cookies on our websites
- Social media platforms who serve our job listings on their platforms;
- Service providers who send postal mail and emails and analyse data;
- Referees, so they can provide a reference
These third parties have access to your personal information solely for the purposes of performing the services specified in the applicable service contract, and we require them to protect the personal information they handle and to keep it secure. In addition, we may be required to disclose your information to other third parties as required by law, regulatory requirement or court order, or to exercise or defend our legal rights to the extent authorised or permitted by law.
We may also disclose and/or transfer your personal information in connection with a reorganisation of all or part of our business, if the majority of our shares are bought by another company or if we transfer all or some of our assets to another company.
Transferring information to other countries
Some of the companies who provide services to us may be located outside the United Kingdom. As a result, your personal information may be transferred outside the UK, including to locations outside the European Economic Area where data protection laws may not provide the same level of privacy protection. We will ensure that our service providers comply with any legal requirements that apply to the transfer of personal information outside the UK. In other cases we may require the service provider to sign the approved European Commission Standard Contractual Clauses for the transfer of personal data to third countries.
Confidentiality of Account Information and User Identification
Where applicable, it is your responsibility to ensure the confidentiality of your account, user identification, password or any other information provided as part of our security procedures. You agree to accept responsibility for all activities that occur using your account, user identification or password and acknowledge that we shall not be liable to any person for any loss or damage which may arise as a result of your failure to keep this information secure. Please let us know immediately if you believe that your password, user identification or any other information provided as part of our security procedures has become known to anyone else, or if this information is being, or is likely to be, used in an unauthorised manner.
We reserve the right to disable any user identification, account or password, at any time, if in our opinion you have failed to comply with any of the provisions of the conditions of use of Toolstation careers site.
How is your information protected?
We take protection of your information seriously and have appropriate organisational and technical security measures in place to keep it safe. Internally, we restrict access to personal information. Only individuals who need access to your personal information for legitimate business purposes have access to it.
We also ensure that Toolstation personnel are adequately trained in protecting your personal information. Our procedures mean that we may request proof of identity before we share your personal information with you.
Links to other websites
Links may be provided on our website to other websites that are not operated by us. If you use these links, you will leave our website. You should note that we are not responsible for the contents of any third party website. External sites will have their own privacy policies which you should read carefully.
Changes to this policy
You can let us know if you no longer want to receive emails from us each time that you receive a message by following the instructions (e.g. link to unsubscribe). You can also opt out of receiving communications at any time by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
If you choose to opt out and then decide to apply for a new opportunity within Toolstation Limited, you may have to contact email@example.com in order to remove your email address from the unsubscribe list
Access and Correction
You may request details of the personal information about you that may be held in connection with the Toolstation Limited Careers service. If you would like a copy of it, please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at Recruitment, Toolstation Limited, Unit 2 Express Park, Bristol Road, Bridgwater, TA6 4RN.
If you ask us to deactivate your account or delete your personal information, we will endeavour to fulfil your request but some information (for example, full name, your unique identifier (currently email address), job application history and outcome(s)) may be retained as necessary for legitimate business purposes or to comply with our legal obligations.
You may also have the following rights in relation to your personal information:
- in certain circumstances, the right to restrict or object to the processing of your personal information (including any profiling), or request that your personal information is deleted
- where you have provided personal information voluntarily, or otherwise consented to its use, the right to withdraw your consent
- in certain circumstances, the right to receive a copy of the personal information which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format or to request that we transfer that information to another party (known as “data portability”)
- the right to complain to a Data Protection Authority (see further below)
Data Protection Team
Unit 2 Express Park
Call us free: 0330 333 3303
Email us at: email@example.com
You can also contact the Travis Perkins Group Data Protection Officer by writing to them at:
Travis Perkins Group Data Protection Officer
Travis Perkins plc
c/o General Counsel Office
Rye Hill Close
Lodge Farm Industrial Estate
Or email them at:
firstname.lastname@example.org (mark your emails for the attention of the Data Protection Officer)
If you are not satisfied with how we use your personal information or our response to any request you make in relation to your personal information, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner:
Information Commissioner's Office
Phone: 01625 545745 (national rate)
Adopted: September 2018